Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Free Hanukkah Activity

 When I taught my ESL students in Alaska I always included a December holiday unit. My students loved
Hanukkah the most because I taught them how to play Dreidel and had purchased some plastic ones for them to use. I also used pennies (which they couldn't keep but turned in for candy) so that I could include a math lesson at the same time. At the end of the school year we always had a party and when I asked them what kinds of games they wanted to play they all shouted out "Dreidel." I was so surprised that they had remembered the game and truly loved playing it. I still think about those students and how much fun they had.
This year Hanukkah begins on December 9th and lasts for 8 days. Sometimes it overlaps with Christmas but it usually comes before students are on Christmas break. If you include Hanukkah when you teach December holidays and would like a set of these Picture/Word Cards (B/W version included) just click on the picture above. This is one activity that is included in my new packet, Hanukkah: A Festival of Lights.
It includes a Shared Reading Book about Hanukkah, 2 Reading Texts and Comprehension Questions at the 2nd and 3rd Grade levels, 2 Sets of Picture/Word or Picture/Fact Cards, 2 Sets of Writing Prompts for 2nd and 3rd Grades, 2 Graphic Organizers and a Hanukkah Acrostic Poem. It is perfect for the Differentiated Reading and Writing levels in your classrooms. You can check it out by clicking on the picture above. I hope to get a K-1 packet together by this weekend.

Thanks for all you do to make a difference for your students.

Freebie Fridays





What December holidays do you teach?

No comments:

Post a Comment