Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Frogs and Toads: Free Resources and Activities



Do you know the differences between Frogs and Toads? Did you know that Toads walk because of their short hind legs? I learned a lot about Frogs and Toads when I was researching my unit on Frogs and Toads. Many of your students read the Frog and Toad series by Arnold Lobel so why not add a non-fiction unit and   compare fictional frogs and toads to real ones. Here is a great picture book to teach the life cycle of a frog.I found quite a long list of Non-fiction books at Amazon which you can access by clicking on the picture below.
At National Geographic I found a lot of great short videos about frogs, toads and other amphibians that I'm sure your students will enjoy. I love using videos to get students motivated about a new unit. Just click on the picture below to check them out.
Would you believe that there is a Frog Blog?  Your students may enjoy all the great pictures and information about frogs like the picture below. You can read more by clicking on the picture below.
I also found another fun website called Frogland which has some great resources like Weird Frog Facts which you can explore by clicking HERE.

One of my first products that I created was called "Leaping with Frogs and Toads". 2012 was a leap year so the original product had a reading text about Leap Year. I have learned so much about creating materials and revised it leaving out the Leap Year materials and then I just revised it again in April of 2014. I have added 15 new pages to the 2nd edition.   Here is a preview of all the new materials and activities:

Just click on either picture above and you can read the full description and when you download the Preview file you will get a free activity.

I have put together a free packet called Compare and Contrast Real and Fictional Frogs and Toads which you can download by clicking on the picture below. It has 2 Compare and Contrast Venn diagrams and Writing Paper. Comparing and Contrasting 2 Books is also an ELA CCSS.
Don't forget to check out all my new Pinerest Boards and follow. Just click HERE.
Thanks for all you do to make a difference for your students.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

3 comments:

  1. I never knew that about toads!!! It is amazing the things you learn when you start doing research for something. I feel like I am learning more now that I am a teacher than I ever did as a kids myself. Your frog and toad stuff is great Arlene :)

    Heidi
    My (Not So) Elementary Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we read Frog and Toad, I always tell the kids that and point out that in the book Toad is much shorter than Frog bewcause his legs are shorter. I guess Arnold Lobel knew it too! ;P

    Your uni looks terrific!
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you linked up on Manic Mondays! I love your FREEBIE!
    Susan morrow


    Keep 'em Thinking!





    ReplyDelete