Wednesday, November 12, 2014

All about Turkeys: Free Resources and Free Reading Activity Packet

I love Turkey and Thanksgiving. Turkeys are one of only two birds that are native to North America. They have been around for a very long time, even before Christopher Columbus discovered America.They are actually quite intelligent and social. I did a lot of research to learn as much as I could about turkeys for my new thematic unit called  "All About Turkeys."  I put together some websites where you can also get free resources about turkeys.

The first one has lots of information for kids and teachers about turkeys and some free printables. You can access it by clicking on the image below.
National Geographic also has some interesting information about turkeys which you can access by clicking on the image below.
You will find 20 interesting facts about turkeys by clicking on the image below.
I found this wonderful book from Scholastic at Amazon. There are more books below this one. To access it just click on the image below.
My new Turkey Unit has several reading texts about turkeys including one about the history of the presidential pardon of a turkey at the White House. There are also Picture/Fact Cards about Domestic Turkeys, Wild Male and Female Turkeys, and Baby Turkeys called Poults. There are 2 different Compare and Contrast Writing Activities to choose from.
Students will decide whether statements are Facts or Opinions in both a whole class activity as well as one about the text about the presidential pardon. All the texts are differentiated at the 2nd and 3rd Grade levels.
If you would like to check out all just click on the image below. You can see sample pages of all the differentiated reading texts plus many other activities in this packet when you download the Preview file.

Don't forget to check out all my new Pinterest Boards and follow. Just click HERE. There are plenty to choose from. Here's my most popular one:
Thanks for all you do to make a difference for your students. 


Follow my blog with Bloglovin


Teaching Blog Addict

2 comments:

  1. Now my wife and I know how the turkey got its name! Thank you. Now to let kids know. I found two good sources of free ideas on monthbymonth.scholastic.com under the TEACH heading. There are pdfs on both the turkey and Thanksgiving (neither tells how the turkey got its name).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great turkey resources! I never knew how the turkey got its name before!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete