Friday, December 20, 2013

Wonderful Winter Resources, Books, Crafts, and Free Activities


For most of you this is the beginning of your well-deserved winter vacations!! While you are taking some special time with family and friends I have put together some wonderful winter resources to help you with your winter lessons in January.

Let's start with some great books for read alouds. I'm sure everyone has this popular one in their book room or library. My students loved it and it was also one they could read. You will find a complete list by clicking on the picture below. What's your favorite winter book? I love reading several and then do a compare and contrast activity of the 2 books. I asked my students to think about the setting and characters in each book. First we would make a list of the 1st book and then the 2nd. For my ESL students I would do this as a whole class activity. After comparing and contrasting both books, I would have them write about which one they liked best.
Looking for some fun crafts to make? How about this cute snowflake hat? I am going to make this one with my granddaughter. Just click on the picture to get all the details.
You can also find quite a few by clicking on the picture below. They look like lots of fun!
If you are looking for some great lessons then you will love to check out this website. Just click on the picture to find loads of great activities and lessons.
You can also find some fun printables, poems,crafts, and activities at Apples4theteachers by clicking HERE
You can also find lots of great lessons and activities for all grade levels at Scholastic by clicking HERE

I have just updated and revised my "What Happens in Winter?" packet for K-2 and added over 45 pages to it. It has a new Shared Reading Book, Word Wall and Picture/Word cards and a new Interactive Student Notebook Vocabulary Activity that you can see below.
There are 3 different leveled Guided Reading Books and Comprehension Activities to meet the needs of all the students in your classroom. Here is a sample below.
I've also added Fluency Passages which you can use to assess your students or for more practice.
You can check out the whole packet by downloading the Preview file by clicking on the picture below. You will see sample pages of all the activities in this packet.
If you are looking for Winter Literacy Centers you may want to check out this one by clicking on the picture below.

Of course I have a fun freebie for all of you. It's a Winter Science Journal (which is part of my "What Happens in Winter?" Packet.)
Students will get to go outside each week and observe the weather and their surroundings. Then they can record their observations. This can be done as a class project or as homework so the whole family can be involved. Just click on the picture below to download your freebie. There are different recording pages depending on the needs of your students.

Don't forget to check out all my Pinterest boards. To follow click HERE.
You may especially like:

I hope you have a wonderful and restful holiday. You have made 2013 such a special year for me. I look forward to sharing lots of great resources, strategies, and of course freebies in 2014. Thank you for all you do to make a difference for your students.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Freebie Fridays





3 comments:

  1. Wow!! This is packed with so many great ideas! I love the snowflake hat! Your "What Happens in Winter" packet looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year!
    Thank you for sharing on Teaching Blog Addict.
    Artistry of Education

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your Winter Journal, Arlene! Have a healthy and happy new year!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete