Sunday, April 14, 2013

Spring Poetry: Free Poetry Resources and a Free Spring Poetry Activity


April is National Poetry month and a perfect time for celebrating spring with poems. I have put together a few websites and books that you might want to check out. For me I think poetry should be part of every Balanced Literacy Curriculum not only for students to read but to write and share as well. How about teaming up with another teacher and have students share their poems with each other. If you are looking for some great poetry books to read to your students just click on the picture below.
I love Shel Silverstein and this is one of my favorites: You can find another great list by clicking on the picture below.
If you are looking for some free resources you will find lots materials and free printables at Scholastic. Just click HERE . Teacher's First has a long list of websites and free activities which you can access by clicking on the picture below:
If you are looking for free poetry forms to teach you can find quite a few by clicking HERE. I have found many forms to use when I am creating my own poems.

This spring I have put together my own packet full of fun springtime poetry for 1st and 2nd grades. You will find poems such as "Spring is Here to Stay", "Let's Plant a Garden", "At the Pond", "Busy Bees", Cinquain, "Bees" and "How to Be a Ladybug." There are several writing activities with each poem including an Informational Text Writing about Spring and an Opinion Piece Writing Activity, "What I like most about spring." Students will also write 4 different forms of poems. Also included are 2 Spring plays with character cards in color and B/W. Here is a sneak peak: The 2nd grade play can also be used as a Readers Theater activity. Just click on the picture below to see all the materials in this packet and get a free poetry activity.
What I love most about poetry is that it is great for building fluency. You may also like to check out my new Spring Fluency Activities by clicking on the image below.

I have had so much fun revising my Frogs and Toads unit that I wrote an "Ode to a Frog" poem and writing activity just for all my followers and viewers.
Just click on the picture above to download your freebie. Hope your students enjoy it.
Don't forget to check out my new Pinterest Boards by clicking HERE. Hope you will follow.

Thanks for all you do to make a difference for your students. Have a great week!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Freebie Fridays
Classroom Freebies Manic Monday



2 comments:

  1. Such great stuff! Thanks for linking up to my May Freebies Linky!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the cute froggy freebie. Looks super!

    ReplyDelete