Sunday, August 24, 2014

September Celebrations Fun Literacy Activities and a Freebie

I love September! Here in Tallahassee it's been 100 degrees or hotter for the last 4 days but with September right around the corner I know cooler weather is on its way. All my grand kids started school last week and love their teachers and college football starts this Saturday. I decided to do a little research to see what daily, weekly and monthly celebrations are in September and was amazed at how many there are. Besides Labor Day, Grandparents Day, Patriots Day, Constitution Day, and Fall, I found some really interesting ones. Did you know that September 13th is International Chocolate Day? I love chocolate. There's National Cheeseburger Day on the 18th and International Eat an Apple Day on the 20th. September is also National Save a Tiger Month. Click HERE if you would like to read more about it.

Many teachers have enjoyed my "Welcome to School" Making Words and Sentences Freebie so I decided to make a unit with 17 of the September Celebrations and Observances that I found. This packet also includes 12 Writing Prompts for 12 of these celebrations and observations. They are all Opinion Piece writing activities. Here is a Preview of the packet below. Just click on it to read all about it and download the Preview file to see all the Celebrations and the ones that have Writing Prompts.

Did you know that September 19th is "Talk Like a Pirate Day"? I remember when my grand son dressed up as a pirate for Halloween one year. Well I put together a fun free packet called "Talk Like a Pirate Day Literacy Activities"
 It includes some of the words that pirates say and what they mean.
Making Words and Sentences and Writing Prompts. Just click on the image below to download your free packet.
Hope your students have fun on "Talk like a Pirate Day". Arrrrrrr!
If you you are looking for some new Pinterest boards to follow I hope you will check out mine by clicking HERE
Here is my most popular one.
Thanks for all you do to make a difference for your students. Have a great week and Labor Day Weekend!

Freebie Fridays

3 comments: